The U.S. Food & Drug Administration will be hosting a virtual workshop from September 23–24, 2021, titled "Exploring the Science Surrounding the Safe Use of Bioactive Ingredients in Infant Formula: Considerations for an Assessment Framework." The workshop will focus on the state-of-the-science on the functional aspects of biologically active human milk components.
The virtual workshop will feature scientific sessions on both days, on the following topics:
- Normal infant developmental outcomes
- Relevant insights from the Breastmilk Ecology: Genesis of Infant Nutrition Series
- Human milk as a reference for bioactive ingredients
- Consideration of interactions between bioactive ingredients during processing or via the matrix
- Functional equivalence of bioactive ingredients from different sources
- Consideration of interactions between bioactive ingredients and other components
On both days, all workshop participants will be able to ask questions of the speakers as well as discuss next steps on the final day.