Mike Robach is vice president, corporate food safety, quality, & regulatory for Cargill based in Minneapolis, MN. Mike joined Cargill in January 2004 to lead the company’s corporate food safety and regulatory affairs programs. Since then, Mike has increased the department’s scope to include animal health and quality assurance. He continues to refocus the department toward global efforts in line with Cargill’s vision of being the global leader in nourishing people.
Mike began his career with Monsanto Company. Prior to joining Cargill, he headed up technical services for Conti Group’s meat and poultry businesses.
Mike is the past president of Safe Supply of Affordable Food Everywhere, chairman of the Board of Directors of the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI), a member of the Scientific and Regulatory Affairs Council Executive Committee for the Grocery Manufacturers Association, and a member of the U.S. Poultry and Egg Association’s Research Advisory Committee.
Mike has worked with the World Organization of Animal Health and the Food and Agriculture Organization on harmonized animal health and food safety standards. He has worked closely with the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration regarding food safety policy, Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points, and regulatory reforms based on science. From 1995 through 2000, Mike was a member of the National Advisory Committee for Microbiological Criteria in Foods.
Mike is a graduate of Michigan State University and Virginia Tech.
It was recently announced that Mike will be retiring from Cargill on August 1, 2018, but will be continuing his term as chairman of the GFSI board.
In this episode of Food Safety Matters, we speak to Mike about:
- Why GFSI exists, the early days of the organization, and how it has evolved globally over the years
- GFSI’s Global Markets Program
- Cargill’s involvement with GFSI
- GFSI’s primary objectives
- What GFSI does and does NOT do
- How GFSI works with scheme owners such as BRC, SQF, etc.
- His thoughts on the various schemes and how they stack up to FSMA
- GFSI compliance vs. FSMA compliance
- GFSI’s progress with public/private partnerships
- Challenges facing GFSI and goals that GFSI will be working on in the coming years
- How companies can become involved with GFSI
- What he’s learned over the course of his career
- His advice to food safety professionals
News Mentioned in This Episode:
Five Deaths in Romaine Lettuce Outbreak
Leafy Greens Industry Forms Task Force in Light of Romaine Lettuce Outbreak
FDA Shares Traceback Details for Romaine Lettuce E. coli Outbreak as Investigation Continues
FDA Should Make Leafy Greens a Priority, Say Consumer and Food Safety Advocacy Groups
Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI)
International Association for Food Protection (IAFP)
KLEANZ by Nexcor Technologies
Everything Food Safety in One Place in Real-Time
KLEANZ is the only complete Food Safety Compliance Solution that focuses on risk mitigation, driving continuous improvement, and adhering to all applicable compliance requirement while managing resources. KLEANZ protects your customers and brand.
Share Your Feedback with Us:
Please feel free to share any questions, comments, or even a suggestion on someone we should interview; let us know! There are two ways for podcast listeners to interact with us:
- Leave us a voicemail at 747-231-7630. Be sure to leave your contact information so we can get back in touch with you!
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.