A new study from Birkbeck, University of London finds that, in addition to ensuring the production and distribution of safe food, the business benefits of British Retail Consortium (BRCGS) certification extend beyond food safety to improved business performance, including sales, profitability, and reduced recalls.
BRCGS standards are used by food business operators at 30,000 locations in 130 countries, impacting over $800 billion of food retail sales. Primary motivation for certification is food safety with 80 percent of respondents claiming certification improved production and distribution of safe food, with 40 percent experiencing a reduction in food recalls following certification.
In addition to the food safety benefits, the report provides clear evidence that certification to BRCGS standards generates extensive and positive business impacts for food business operators, as well as the brands or retailers that specify them within their supply chains.
A total of 451 food businesses responded to the October 2021 survey from across Europe, North America, South America, Asia Pacific, the Middle East, and Africa.
Top-line benefits revealed by the ‘The Economic Impact for Manufacturing Sites Operating to BRCGS Certification’ study include:
- 70 percent of respondents stated that changes in production methods required for BRCGS certification had led to efficiencies and greater productivity.
- 40 percent reduction in food recalls reported by respondents since achieving BRCGS certification.
- 7.5 percent average sales growth for BRCGS-certified businesses.
- 6 percent average increased profitability for BRCGS-certified businesses.
BRCGS’s food safety standard was the first to be benchmarked. Now in its 8th edition, with the 9th edition to be published later in 2021, the standard has evolved to meet the needs of industry and to protect the consumer.
Today, BRCGS standards are used by over 30,000 sites in 130 countries. They are accepted by:
- 70 percent of the top 10 global retailers
- 60 percent of the top 10 quick-service restaurants
- 50 percent of the top 25 manufacturers
BRCGS certified FBOs account for 36 percent of post-farm gate sales, and therefore impact on at least $800 billion of food retail sales. This is a figure that excludes the significant sales made in the quick-service restaurant sector.
Click here to download the full study.