Bonnie McClafferty is the Director of Food Safety at GAIN, the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition, and Chief of Party for USAID’s EatSafe: Evidence and Action Towards Safety Nutritious Food. She has more than twenty years of experience working in agricultural research and development within the institutes that make up the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) under the World Bank. Bonnie joined GAIN from HarvestPlus, where for twelve years she headed up their office on Development and Communications.
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Google Play | Android
In this episode of Food Safety Matters, we speak to Bonnie [25:18] about:
- Overview of the EatSafe Projects
- Traditional markets in the developing world
- The role of nutrition in the definition of safe food
- The wild west of food safety
- Empowering local communities to engage in food safety
- Why food safety is sidelined in public talks of health and nutrition
- The youth movement
- The power of communication
- The UN Food Systems Summit
- Emerging guidelines for safe food
- UN sustainability goals
- Why we need data
- "If it's not safe, it cannot nourish."
- How food safety and food security are intertwined
- The impact of COVID
- Call to action and building capacity
News and Resources:
Steve Mandernach, Executive Director of AFDO joins us to discuss the results of their 2021 State of Food Safety Resources Survey. [4:57] AFDO Announces It’s 2021 State Food Safety Resource
We Want to Hear from You!
Please send us your questions and suggestions to email@example.com