June 7, 2020, marks the second annual observance of World Food Safety Day. The theme, which remains the same as last year’s, is “Food safety, everyone’s business.”
The goal of World Food Safety Day is to bring awareness and inspire action to help prevent, detect, and manage foodborne risks, contributing to food security, human health, economic prosperity, agriculture, market access, tourism, and sustainable development.
The adoption of World Food Safety Day is a joint venture between the United Nations General Assembly, the World Health Organization (WHO), and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
WHO statement on World Food Safety Day:
World Food Safety Day calls to action:
- Ensure it’s safe - Government must ensure safe and nutritious food for all
- Grow it safe - Agriculture and food producers need to adopt good practices
- Keep it safe - Business operators must make sure food is safe
- Eat it safe: All consumers have a right to safe, healthy and nutritious food
- Team up for safety – Food Safety is a shared responsibility
Be sure to check out these World Food Safety Day resources provided by WHO, FAO, and UN. If you plan to observe, don't forget to use #WorldFoodSafetyDay on all social channels to share your efforts with industry!