Sara Mortimer is the vice president of product safety, quality, and regulatory affairs for Land O’Lakes. Over her 30-year career, Sara has worked to ensure the safety and quality of some of the world’s biggest brands—Haagen Daaz, Green Giant, Old El Paso, Nature Valley, and many others.
Sara has co-authored a number of books on Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) and food safety management. In fact, she contributed to Food Safety Magazine's Food Safety Culture eBook! She's also served on Food Control's editorial board and was a trustee of the Royal Society of Public Health for several years.
Sara has been a member of the BRC International Advisory Board for over 10 years, and she's a member of the Grocery Manufacturers Association's Executive Scientific and Regulatory Affairs Committee. Most recently, she has helped review the effectiveness of Codex HACCP and Food Hygiene principles.
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Google Play | Android
In this episode of Food Safety Matters, we speak to Sara about:
- The purpose of HACCP, and how it should work together as part of a comprehensive food safety management program
- Critical Control Points vs. prerequisite programs
- Sara's first experience writing a HACCP plan 30 years ago
- Useful resources for writing a good HACCP plan
- The seven principles of HACCP
- Reasons why companies encounter food safety issues, even with a HAACP plan in place
- The difficulties that arise when analyzing a food safety plan against varying global/international standards
- The importance of maintenance as a supplemental HACCP principle
- How altering a food product's formula (reduced sodium, sugar, etc.) can have massive food safety implications
- Why the HACCP vs. HARPC debate doesn't really matter
- HACCP and food safety culture
BOOK: HACCP: A Practical Approach
Bob Ferguson's Food Safety Insights Articles
Processors Increasingly Turning to Testing for Allergen Control (December 2018/January 2019)
The Uphill Path to FSMA Compliance (October/November 2018)
Lessons Learned: Careers in Food Safety (August/September 2018)
Listeria: An Important Focus of Environmental Monitoring (June/July 2018)
Sanitation Verification for Allergen Control (April/May 2018)
Testing and Sanitation for Allergen Control (February/March 2018)
Outsourcing: Pathogen Testing under the Microscope (December 2017/January 2018)
The New Face of Sanitation Programs: New Rules, New Challenges (October/November 2017)
A Closer Look at Environmental Monitoring in the Processing Plant (August/September 2017)
What Industry and FDA Are Thinking About FSMA Implementation (June/July 2017)
The Drivers of Differences in Food Safety Testing Practices (April/May 2017)
A Look at the Microbiology Testing Market (February/March 2017)
News Mentioned in This Episode
FDA Food Inspections "Sharply Reduced" Amid Partial Government Shutdown | UPDATE: Unpaid FDA Workers Resume High-Risk Food Inspections
CDC Declares Romaine Lettuce E. coli Outbreak Over
Draining Canal May Reveal Answers About Romaine Contamination
Keep Up with Food Safety Magazine
Follow Us on Twitter @FoodSafetyMag and on Facebook
Subscribe to our magazine and our biweekly eNewsletter
We Want to Hear From You!
Please share your comments, questions, and suggestions. Tell us about yourself—we'd love to hear about your food safety challenges and successes. We want to get to you know you! Here are a few ways to be in touch with us.
- Email us at email@example.com
- Record a voice memo on your phone and email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org