The International Dairy-Deli-Bakery Association (IDDBA) will be launching Safe Food Matters!--a year-long food safety initiative campaign to build awareness of safe food practices and serve as an industry resource for food retailers, manufacturers, and their employees. In particular, Safe Food Matters! will focus on decreasing the potential for Listeria monocytogenes and cross-contamination in deli ready-to-eat foods.
"Listeria monocytogenes can literally shut down your food retail business, making it one of the most potentially disastrous foodborne contaminations your stores could face," said Mike Eardley, president and CEO, IDDBA. "By promoting awareness within the industry and providing resources for retail operators and their employees, IDDBA is expanding its leadership role in addressing this important food safety topic."
Current and planned programs around the Safe Food Matters! campaign include:
- A free ServSafe® certification class for attendees of the Dairy-Deli-Bake Seminar and Expo held this June in Atlanta.
- Member reimbursement (up to $2,000) for food safety certification of dairy, deli, and bakery associates.
- New free food safety courses courtesy of IDDBA
- New custom research that explores consumer attitudes about food safety in the dairy, deli and bakery departments.
- Food safety speakers slated for the June Dairy-Deli-Bake Seminar and Expo in Atlanta, GA, June 7-9, 2015.